Saturday, August 21, 2010

And now for the part where you all get mad at me:

I know it's going to sound all negative and ungrateful and whatnot, but, I just wonder sometimes.

Well, actually I wonder lots of times. But usually it's about cheese or fractals, or whether I can replace my own tie-rod, or when God is going to finally get around to making me a movie star. Because you know, I really want to be a movie star. Wait, what? Where was I?  Oh yes.

Yesterday though, I was wondering about investment in NOMI - specifically non-profit-type.  Like, you know, take the Jordan Community garden at 26th and Knox.

So yeah it was really nice to get all those flowers and all that help from Catalyst or the Pohlad group or whoever the hell it was - everybody loves to be given pretty things for free, right? Santa Claus, please see my letter - I want you to send me a good talent agent this year. And some wrinkle cream. Cookies and brandy on me Big Daddy.

But here's the rub. I live here and I have never seen anyone in that garden. I mean, it's not like other gardens which actually have plots started and maintained by neighbors, you know? It's a bunch of flowers. And, hey, they're pretty. I can just hear the screaming now about what kinda fucking anti-social-loser-freak-jackass DOESN'T LIKE PRETTY FLOWERSSSSSSS... DOESN'T THINK OUR COMMUNITY DESERVES PRETTY FLOWERSSSS..... ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGHRLGR...killkillKILL

No. That is not my point. My point is that I don't see any community happening there. I don't see people weeding, I don't see people dead-heading, I don't see people collecting seeds, I don't see children playing in amongst the lurrvely blossoms, pretending they are in a music-video. I don't see neighbors cutting flowers for a dining-room table bouquet. Hell, I don't even see hookers taking advantage of the tall stalks as cover for crap-breaks. (Seriously officer, I was just fertilizing the cone-flowers! This is some straight-up organic gardening, man!)

What I see is yet another monument to the do-gooders who found some money to come in and graciously give us all a pretty thing. Aw. Sweet. Can you give us some more money for paving on 26th? I nearly busted my fucking bike on that road the other day. Also, a talent agent. I got skillz babies. Love and kisses, The NH.

7 comments:

  1. You don't see any of that stuff for a simple reason. You don't live in Jordan. More specifically you don't live near the garden. You aren't on the neighborhood listserv that announces and asks for volunteer work mornings. You obviously didn't see ME there earlier this year dividing up some brown-eyed susans for my own yard. That is why you aren't seeing any of it, you just aren't there at the right times.

    And about it being a monument to whatever nonprofit, dude-girl, get with it. That was 2009 when the nonprofit helped give the garden a much needed makeover. The garden was actually started (without official city permission) back in 2002. Pre-riot. By neighbors who wanted to counteract the ugliness that was Big Stop. The garden survived the riot. Then was often used as a gathering spot for bbqs, meetings, press conferences, heck, Don Samuels even used it to camp out while he went on a hunger fast to bring some media attention to the violence in our neighborhood. But we all know you weren't around for that, either. So, of course you didn't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, I do live here.

    Why did the garden need a makeover?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, you don't live in Jordan. You don't live near the garden so you don't see when there are work days there. You aren't subscribed to the email solicitations and announcements. And you didn't live here when 26th Ave was really bad (which is why the garden was born, to counterbalance the bad) so you weren't around when there were people in the garden everyday to "be there", be seen, be a presence, spy on the drug dealers etc etc. It helped combat the crime on 26th. It worked and neighbors are focusing their energy elsewhere. God forbid they should have a personal life. You weren't here, so you don't know the before and after.

    It needed a makeover because it just did, why do things need revitalization, renovations, spring cleaning, remodeling, refreshing? It just did. Why do you go get your hair cut or get new shoes? Did you neglect your old shoes? No, they just got worn out. Your implications are off the mark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan why don't you stop assuming no one lives in NOMI but you. I didn't realize that anyone who is the least bit critical of the neighborhood stands to be accused of being an outsider.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not an outsider.

    And I sincerely hope that you are correct and I am just missing something. I have no problem with the garden in and of itself - it's the method that I wonder about. I am usually working in the morning so if that's when the garden is full of life and work then maybe I need to alter my schedule to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best ironic part of this rant:

    ~~Hell, I don't even see hookers taking advantage of the tall stalks as cover for crap-breaks.~~

    Precisely! No more hookers on 26th! No more punks on every corner doing the cigarette finger to mouth motion. No more gang shootings. No more riots.

    What exactly is it you are complaining about, again?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay kiddies, it's clearly hug-time. Line up. Everything is going to be okay.

    ReplyDelete